National Parliament of Solomon Islands
To be a modern Parliament that fulfills its constitutional duties and effectively serves the people of Solomon Islands
Members of previous Parliaments
Hon. Fred Fono
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs
Constituency: Central Kwara’ae, Malaita Province
Ministry of Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs
P.O. Box G1
Phone: +677 28563
- Elected to the National Parliament of Solomon Islands for Central Kwara’ae on 6 August 1997. Re-elected on 5 December 2001 and 5 April 2006.
- Deputy Speaker of the National Parliament of Solomon Islands from 20 December 2001 to 3 January 2005.
Parliamentary Committee Appointments
- Member, Public Accounts Committee from 10 May 2007 to 21 December 2007
- Member, Bills and Legislation Committee from 13 July 2007 to 21 December 2007
- Chair, Parliamentary House Committee from 15 February 2002 to 3 February 2005
- Member, Public Accounts Committee from 19 March 2001 to 6 August 2001.
- Deputy Prime Minister Ministry of Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs from 21 December 2007 to present
- Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for National Planning and Aid Coordination from 21 April 2006 to 4 May 2006.
- Minister for National Planning and Aid Coordination from 4 February 2005 to 4 April 2006.
- Minister for Development and Planning from 29 September 1997 to 5 June 2000.
- Masters in Business Administration, University of the South Pacific.
- Bachelor of Arts (Accounting and Economics), University of the South Pacific.
Occupation before entering Parliament
- Provincial Secretary of Malaita Province.
- Chief Commercial Officer, Corporate Division, Ministry of Commerce & Primary Industries.
- Accountant Trainee, Development Bank of Solomon Islands.
Conferences, Delegations and Visits
- Australasian Council of Public Accounts Committees (ACPAC) Biennial Conference, Canberra, Australia, April 2007.
- Presented a paper on “Population and Development Issues in Solomon Islands” at the Special Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations, New York, USA February 2000.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Republic of Palau, October 1999.
- High-Level Talks with Australian Government Official delegation, Brisbane, Australia, June 1999.
- Presented a paper on “Population and Development Issues in Solomon Islands”
- Hague Conference, Netherlands from 6th to 17th February 1999.
- IMF/World Bank Regional Seminar on “Economic Reforms in the Pacific” at Apia, Samoa from 30th January to 6th February 1999.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Pompeii, Federated States of Micronesia, August 1998.
- 61st Session of ESCAP meeting in Bangkok, June 1998.
- African, Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Heads of Government Summit in Gabon, Republic of Gabon, October 1997.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Rarotonga, Cook Islands, September 1997.
- European Commission/African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
- Date of birth: 10 October 1962
- Village/ Home Island: Arabala Village, Central Kwara’ae, Malaita Province
« May 2015
- No upcoming events available