National Parliament of Solomon Islands
Members of previous Parliaments
Hon. Fred Fono
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs
Constituency: Central Kwara’ae, Malaita Province
Ministry of Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs
P.O. Box G1
Phone: +677 28563
- Elected to the National Parliament of Solomon Islands for Central Kwara’ae on 6 August 1997. Re-elected on 5 December 2001 and 5 April 2006.
- Deputy Speaker of the National Parliament of Solomon Islands from 20 December 2001 to 3 January 2005.
Parliamentary Committee Appointments
- Member, Public Accounts Committee from 10 May 2007 to 21 December 2007
- Member, Bills and Legislation Committee from 13 July 2007 to 21 December 2007
- Chair, Parliamentary House Committee from 15 February 2002 to 3 February 2005
- Member, Public Accounts Committee from 19 March 2001 to 6 August 2001.
- Deputy Prime Minister Ministry of Rural Development and Indigenous Affairs from 21 December 2007 to present
- Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for National Planning and Aid Coordination from 21 April 2006 to 4 May 2006.
- Minister for National Planning and Aid Coordination from 4 February 2005 to 4 April 2006.
- Minister for Development and Planning from 29 September 1997 to 5 June 2000.
- Masters in Business Administration, University of the South Pacific.
- Bachelor of Arts (Accounting and Economics), University of the South Pacific.
Occupation before entering Parliament
- Provincial Secretary of Malaita Province.
- Chief Commercial Officer, Corporate Division, Ministry of Commerce & Primary Industries.
- Accountant Trainee, Development Bank of Solomon Islands.
Conferences, Delegations and Visits
- Australasian Council of Public Accounts Committees (ACPAC) Biennial Conference, Canberra, Australia, April 2007.
- Presented a paper on “Population and Development Issues in Solomon Islands” at the Special Session of the General Assembly of the United Nations, New York, USA February 2000.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Republic of Palau, October 1999.
- High-Level Talks with Australian Government Official delegation, Brisbane, Australia, June 1999.
- Presented a paper on “Population and Development Issues in Solomon Islands”
- Hague Conference, Netherlands from 6th to 17th February 1999.
- IMF/World Bank Regional Seminar on “Economic Reforms in the Pacific” at Apia, Samoa from 30th January to 6th February 1999.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Pompeii, Federated States of Micronesia, August 1998.
- 61st Session of ESCAP meeting in Bangkok, June 1998.
- African, Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Heads of Government Summit in Gabon, Republic of Gabon, October 1997.
- Post-Forum Dialogue Meeting, Rarotonga, Cook Islands, September 1997.
- European Commission/African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Summit in Brussels, Belgium.
- Date of birth: 10 October 1962
- Village/ Home Island: Arabala Village, Central Kwara’ae, Malaita Province
« April 2017
- No upcoming events available